(1) Did you know, the originality of these emblems were dated back in the Russo-Turkish war (1877 - 1878)
(2) The war was fought between Russia, allied with Balkan countries (named Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro and Romania), and Ottoman Turks empire due to raising nationality spirit and to remove Ottoman power from the Balkan lands.
(3) Both Russia and the Ottoman Empire had signed the First Geneva Convention (1864), which made the Red Cross, a color reversal of the flag of neutral Switzerland, the sole emblem of protection for military medical personnel and facilities.
(4) However, this emblem reminded the Ottoman about crusades, so they elected to replace it with Red Crescent emblem instead. This was followed by other Muslim countries across the world.
(5) Thus, both this emblems still remain today, as representative of protection.